Lemon is one of the most common, if not the most common essential oil out there and can be used for SO many great things.
This past week, I went through the basics, science, sourcing, safety and uses of lemon essential oil on FB!
Below I’ve recapped what we went through via blog post and video!
BASICS OF LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
As one of the top-selling Essential Oils, Lemon has multiple benefits and uses. Lemon is a powerful cleansing agent that purifies the air, disinfects surfaces, and can be used as a non-toxic cleaner throughout the home.
When added to water, it provides a refreshing and healthy boost throughout the day. Lemon is frequently added to food to enhance the flavor of desserts and main dishes.
Due to its high limonene content, Lemon is a powerful antioxidant that can help ward off free radicals. Taken internally, it provides cleansing and digestive benefits, can soothe an irritated throat, and supports healthy respiratory function.
When diffused, Lemon is very uplifting and energizing and has been shown to improve mood and cognitive ability.
• Cleanses and purifies the air and surfaces.
• Naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion.
• Supports healthy respiratory function.
• Diffuse to promote a positive mood.
• Take internally to assist with seasonal respiratory discomfort.
SCIENCE BEHIND LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
Lemon is a great cleansing agent and purifies the air and surfaces. It’s also uplifting and energizing due to its chemical constituents and chemical properties.
The main constituents of doTERRA’s peppermint is LIMONENE and BETA-PINENE, two monoterpenes that provide cleansing, uplifting and energizing properties.
From the Lemon Essential Oil bottle I have, I was able to look up the chemical constituents and see that Limonene is 64.86% of the essential oil and Beta-pinene was 13.38%.
Some of the benefits of LIMONENE in particular include:
– Cleansing properties
– Can support healthy cellular function
– Can support respiratory function
– Support healthy metabolism and weight management
All this to say, Lemon is a GREAT for a lot of things but is one that you only need to use a little at a time!
Also when using it, use it in glass or stainless steel as it can break down plastic!
Furthermore, the chemical constituents of Lemon give the essential oil the following properties:
SOURCING AND EXTRACTION OF DOTERRA’S LEMON
SOURCING – ITALY
“doTERRA sources Lemon essential oil from citrus orchards in Sicily, Italy, where families who have grown lemon and bergamot for generations help grow and harvest the lemons that are eventually used for doTERRA Lemon oil. In the past, the economic downturn caused many Sicilian orchards to close; however, through Co-Impact Sourcing®, doTERRA has provided a business opportunity for growers who wish to continue their family tradition of running an orchard.
Watch the video below to learn more about doTERRA’s Co-Impact sourcing initiative in Sicily.”
CREATION/EXTRACTION – COLD PRESSED
Like most citrus oils, lemon essential oil is COLD PRESSED and comes from the rind, or the outermost waxy layer of the fruit’s peel.
“Unlike steam distillation, this method does not require a heat source, so it is often referred to as “cold pressing.”
To begin, the fruit is placed in the expression machinery where it is passed across rasping cylinders that cut up the surface of the peel. As this process occurs, small sacs containing essential oil break open and release their contents.
Water is sprayed over the fruit to collect the essential oil. At this point, the essential oil is still mixed with some watery materials from the fruit’s flesh and some solid particles from the rind. To isolate the essential oil, this mixture is filtered and centrifuged, allowing separation of the pure essential oil product from any water or solid particles.
Expression (or extraction) provides high-quality products with characteristic fragrances nearly identical to the starting fruit. This method is most useful with plant materials that lose their fragrance and beneficial properties when exposed to the temperatures required for steam distillation.”
Learn more about the cold pressing process >>HERE<<.
SAFETY WITH LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
Lemon is one of the most versatile essential oils out there, but you want to use it carefully.
WHO: It’s great for all ages, those who are pregnant or breastfeeding, and even dogs.
APPLICATION: When applying it topically, be sure to 1) dilute and 2) not go into sunlight or UV rays for 12 hours after direct topical application. Lemon, like the other citrus oils, is phototoxic and can cause an almost exaggerated sunburn. You can use it AROMATICALLY, TOPICALLY, and INTERNALLY.
Like most essential oils, try to avoid contact with the eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
DOSAGE: It depends. 2% dilution due to phototoxicity, meaning 2 drops per teaspoon or 12 drops per ounce carrier.
SHELF LIFE: Typical shelf life is roughly 2 years as well! You can look at the bottom of your doTERRA lavender bottle for expiration date.
SAFETY PRECAUTION: However, be sure to keep OUT of the reach of children because even though it’s safe, we want to be careful they don’t OVEREXPOSE themselves to it. Also, if you are pregnant or under a doctor’s care, feel free to consult with them if you’re concerned.
Note – this information is just based on my understanding and is just for doTERRA’s Lemon – you will need to do your research around other lemon essential oils.
USES OF LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
Lemon can be used for so many great things!
Here are some of its top uses:
– KIDNEY AND GALLSTONES: Apply diluted over the area of discomfort; add a heat pack to intensify action. Ingest a few drops in water or in a capsule to break up stones
– PH ISSUES & LYMPHATIC CLEANSING: Take in a glass of water or apply to ears and ankles to cleanse and balance PH
– EDEMA & WATER RETENTION: Take in a capsule, glass of water, or massage into legs and bottoms of feet
– HEARTBURN & REFLUX: Take with ginger essential oil in a capsule or glass of water
– CONGESTION & MUCUS: Rub over chest or diffuse
– RUNNY NOSE & ALLERGIES: Inhale or apply over the bridge of nose to relieve a runny nose. Take 2-4 drops with lavender and peppermint in glass of water or in a capsule for allergy relief
– GOUT, RHEUMATISM & ARTHRITIS: Take in a glass of water
– LIVER & KIDNEY DETOX: Take in a glass of water or apply to bottom of feet
– DEGREASER & FURNITURE POLISH: Use 10-15 drops mixed with water in a glass spray bottle.
– VARICOSE VEINS: Apply diluted with cypress.
– CONCENTRATION: Inhale with rosemary.
– EMOTIONAL BALANCE: Use aromatically and topically to get from Mindless to Energized.
Lemon can also be found in:
– Respiration Blend (Breathe)
– Invigorating Blend (Citrus Bliss)
– Cleansing Blend (Purify)
– Metabolic Blend (Slim and Sassy)
It blends well with Basil, Peppermint, Rosemary and Siberian Fir.
GET STARTED WITH ESSENTIAL OILS AND LEARN MORE!
If you would like to learn more about doTERRA essential oils, check out an Essential Oils 101 Webinar I put together >>HERE<<.
Furthermore, if you know you would like to get started in using essential oils OR even sharing about them with others, book a Complimentary Essential Oils Consultation >>HERE<< and let’s talk about what oils would work best for you and your health and life goals!
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.