Deep Blue Essential Oils is one of my absolute favorite essential oils! It’s the oil blend that got me started using essential oils more seriously and the oil blend that made me want to share essential oils with everyone I met!
So, this past week as part of the Continuing Education series I’m doing on doTERRA’s essential oils in the Healthy and Thriving Women and my team’s private Facebook group, I went through the basics, science, sourcing, safety, and uses of Deep Blue essential oil on FB!
Below I’ve recapped what we went through via blog post and video!
Basics of Deep Blue Essential Oil
Deep Blue will always have a special place in my heart as it’s one of the main reasons I started both using and sharing doTERRA essential oils (had a bad case of tendonitis in my wrist that Deep Blue was about the only thing that really helped to soothe the pain!).
Here are some basics of this beautiful blend!
This ESSENTIAL OIL BLEND is a soothing solution for sore muscles and joints. Wintergreen, Camphor, Peppermint, Blue Tansy, Blue Chamomile, Helichrysum, and Osmanthus work together to soothe and relax muscles and ease achy joints.
Its effects are deep and penetrating with sustained results. Once gently rubbed into the area of discomfort, it’s cool therapeutic benefit will be felt almost immediately.
This oil blend provides instant relief for the occasional discomfort of tired, sore, and worn-down muscles and joints. It can even help support healthy circulation!
To learn about my experience with using this oil when I had a severe case of tendonitis in my wrist, go >>HERE<<.
SCIENCE OF DEEP BLUE ESSENTIAL OIL
Deep Blue (Soothing Blend) is an amazing oil best known for its soothing and restorative properties for joint, neck and pain relief. It’s composed of Wintergreen, Camphor, Peppermint, Ylang Ylang, Helichrysum, Blue Tansy, German Chamomile, and Osmanthus.
Deep Blue is the first blend we are looking at and thus, each of the oils in the blend contains their own chemical constituent. Here is a summary of the chemical family and constituent of a few oils below:
– Wintergreen – Ethers, Methyl Salicylate
– Camphor – Ketones, Safrole
– Peppermint – Alcohols, Menthol
– Ylang Ylang – Sesquiterpenes, Caryophyllene, and germacrene.
– Helichrysum – Esters, Meryl acetate
– Blue Tansy – Monoterpene, Sabinene
The main one we want to talk about here is Wintergreen (the main oil in Deep Blue) due to its high Methyl Salicylate.
Methyl Salicylate is only found naturally in the Wintergreen plant and the Birch Tree. It’s one of the most POWERFUL constituents for pain relief. It’s actually one of the main components in most over-the-counter pain relievers, but sometimes they contain the synthetic version.
Coupled with Camphor (which is also a strong oil that is better used diluted), Wintergreen and these others oils make Deep Blue a great one for so many uses and therapeutic benefits!
Furthermore, the chemical constituents of Deep Blue Blend give the essential oil the following properties:
SOURCING OF DEEP BLUE ESSENTIAL OIL
Because Deep Blue is a blend of oils and natural components, the oils come from different places!
– WINTERGREEN: Nepal – where it is wild harvested by rural villagers then distilled by community-owned distillation facilities. This process creates an increased economic opportunity for very remote regions in rural Nepal.
– PEPPERMINT: Washington State – doTERRA’s peppermint essential oil is sourced from Washington State from local peppermint farmers. The Pacific Northwest is for peppermint because of the high amounts of rainfall they have each year. This gives the peppermint a high menthol content, which gives it its sweet, minty aroma and flavor.
– YLANG YLANG: Madagascar – The Ylang Ylang tree must grow for three to four years before it can be harvested during the peak months of December through March. Growers pick the flowers once they have matured, requiring trees to be harvested several different times within a period of six weeks. On Nosy Be, harvesters collect baskets of flowers and deliver them to a weighing station, where they will be paid based on the weight of their harvest. The flowers are then quickly delivered to nearby distilleries and distilled through a hydrodistillation process within 24 hours of being picked.
– HELICHRYSUM: France – Helichrysum italicum is a small perennial herb with narrow, silver leaves and flowers that form a cluster of golden yellow, bell-shaped blossoms. doTERRA sources it from France.
– BLUE TANSY: Morocco – Blue Tansy, also referred to as Moroccan Tansy, is an annual yellow-flowered Mediterranean plant found in northern Morocco, where the climate is perfect to grow this flower.
All of these oils and places makes this beautiful blend multi-cultural don’t you think?
So amazing how so much care and thought goes into WHERE each oil is sourced from and WHICH oils are included in this blend.
SAFETY OF DEEP BLUE ESSENTIAL OIL
Deep blue is an amazing oil, but one you want to make sure to use correctly 🙂
APPLICATION: Only TOPICAL use. Due to the high Methyl Salicylate and Camphor content, this oil should only be applied topically and diluted for the young and sensitive skin.
Like most essential oils, try to avoid contact with the eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
SAFETY PRECAUTION: However, be sure to keep OUT of the reach of children because even though it’s safe, we want to be careful they don’t OVEREXPOSE themselves to it. Also, if you are pregnant or under a doctor’s care, feel free to consult with them if you’re concerned.
Note – this information is just based on my understanding and is just for doTERRA’s Deep Blue Blend.
USES OF DEEP BLUE ESSENTIAL OIL
Deep Blue is AMAZING for all things soothing and relieving for the body!
Here are some of its top uses:
– MUSCLE, BACK & JOINT PAIN: Apply to area of discomfort.
– ARTHRITIS & ACHES: Apply to area of discomfort
– NEUROPATHY & CARPAL TUNNEL: Apply to area of discomfort
– FIBROMYALGIA & LUPUS: Apply to area of concern.
– WHIPLASH & MUSCLE TENSION: Apply to area of discomfort
– PRE & POST WORKOUT: Apply to area of discomfort
– GROWING PAINS: Apply to affected area
– HEADACHE & NECK PAIN: Apply to back of neck, shoulders, and temples
– BRUISES & INJURIES: Apply to affected area to reduce inflammation and scar tissue
Deep Blue Essential Oil is a toxic-free substitute for topical ointments and creams. This blend can naturally soothe pain and inflammation.
It’s one of my FAVORITE oils!
Further to that, there are actually a few Deep Blue products you may want to check out:
– Deep Blue Soothing Rub
– Deep Blue Touch (Roll On)
– Deep Blue Polyphenol Complex
Here’s also a breakdown of how each of the single essential oils in the blend adds to the uniqueness and efficacy of this blend (information taken from the Modern Essentials App):
– WINTERGREEN: Contains 99% methyl salicylate, which gives it cortisone-like properties. It may be beneficial for arthritis, rheumatism, tendonitis and any other discomfort that is related to the inflammation of bones, muscles, and joints.
– CAMPHOR: is analgesic (pain-relieving) and anti-inflammatory. It may be beneficial for arthritis, rheumatism muscle aches and pains, sprains, and bruises.
-PEPPERMINT: is anti-inflammatory to damaged tissues. It has a soothing and cooling effect that may help with arthritis and rheumatism.
– BLUE TANSY: is analgesic and anti-inflammatory. It may help with low blood pressure, arthritis, and rheumatism.
–GERMAN (BLUE) CHAMOMILE: is antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic. It may also help relieve congestion and arthritis.
-HELICHRYSUM: May help cleanse the blood and improve circulatory functions. It is anticatarrhal in structure and nature. As a powerful anti-inflammatory, it may even help reduce inflammation in the meninges of the brain. On a spiritual level, it may help one let go of angry feelings that prevent one from forgiving and moving forward.
-OSMANTHUS: is one of the 10 famous traditional flowers of China. The blossoms are highly aromatic and are used in the world’s rarest and most expense perfumes. It is used in Chinese medicine to “reduce phlegm and removed blood stasis.”
EMOTIONS BEHIND DEEP BLUE ESSENTIAL OIL
I though in addition to talking about the basics, science, sourcing, safety, and uses of essential oils, I would also do a section on the emotional aspect of each oil!
This is taken from the “Emotions & Essential Oils: A Modern Resource for Healing” Guide – 4th Edition.
(Deep Blue is also the “Soothing Blend” and is known as the “Oil of Surrendering Pain”)
Soothing blend is generally used for physical pain, but it can also assist individuals who are resting or avoiding the emotions that underlie their physical pain. It gives a person strength to face their emotional wounds, allowing the wounds to surface for transformation and healing. This blend can teach individuals how to be the observer of their painful experiences rather than becoming over identified with them.
When a person suffers from intense emotional or physical pain, it is common for them to act irrationally or “lose their head.” Soothing blend can support the mind in staying cool or collected, regardless of the emotional turmoil or physical pain one may be in. In this way, the individual maintains mental clarity in the face of danger or pain.
At its core, Soothing Blend teaches individuals acceptance and tolerance of their pain. It reveals the possibility that pain is not cruel or bad, but it is simply a teacher. Instead of resisting pain, one may embrace the lessons it has to offer. As one let’s go of resistance, pain lessens and often dissipates altogether. By understanding the nature of pain, this blend encourages an assimilation of all life’s experiences.
GET STARTED WITH ESSENTIAL OILS AND LEARN MORE!
If you would like to learn more about doTERRA essential oils, check out an Essential Oils 101 Webinar I put together >>HERE<<.
Furthermore, if you know you would like to get started in using essential oils OR even sharing about them with others, book a Complimentary Essential Oils Consultation >>HERE<< and let’s talk about what oils would work best for you and your health and life goals!
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.