On Guard Essential Oil is the one essential oil I use every day! I use it to boost my immune system daily and use it, even more, when I’m not feeling 100%
So, this past week as part of the Continuing Education series I’m doing on doTERRA’s essential oils in the Healthy and Thriving Women and my team’s private Facebook group, I went through the basics, science, sourcing, safety, uses, and emotions of On Guard essential oil on FB!
Below I’ve recapped what we went through via blog post and video!
BASICS OF ON GUARD ESSENTIAL OIL
This proprietary Essential Oil blend provides a natural and effective alternative to keep your family and home healthy.
As one of the MOST POPULAR blends, it protects against environmental and seasonal threats with Essential Oils known for their positive effects on the immune system.
This ESSENTIAL OIL BLEND can be taken internally on a daily basis to maintain healthy immune function as well as used on surfaces throughout the home as a non-toxic cleaner.
When diffused, it helps purify the air and support healthy respiratory function and can be very energizing and uplifting.
It also provides cleansing and purifying benefits while promoting healthy circulation.
This blend has Wild Orange Peel, Clove Bud, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Leaf/Stem, and Rosemary Leaf/Flower Essential Oils.
• An effective alternative to synthetic options for immune support.
• Supports the body’s natural antioxidant defenses.
• Supports healthy immune function.
• Protects against environmental threats.
• Supports healthy respiratory function.
On Guard is known as the Protective Blend or the Immunity Blend. Filled with oils like wild orange, clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary, this blend is designed to support your immune system and ward off bacterial and immune system threats.
Like Deep Blue, which we looked at last week, this blend contains a few oils and each of the oils in the blend contain their own chemical constituent. Here is a summary of the chemical family and constituent of a few oils below:
– Wild Orange – d-limonene, Terpinolene, Myrcene
– Clove – Eugenol
– Cinnamon – Cinnamaldehyde, Eugenol, Phenol
– Eucalyptus – Eucalyptol, Alpha-terpineol
– Rosemary – Linalool, Terpinen-4-ol, I,8 cineole
The main one we are going to talk about is phenol. Phenols are known as protective chemical constituents because of their high antioxidant, cell-protecting, and immune system protecting qualities.
Phenols are very active and stimulating and are excellent choices when you want to protect yourself against any immune system threat.
Oils such as clove and cinnamon from the spices family are high in phenols, making them a great choice to include in the On Guard Protective Blend.
Furthermore, the chemical constituents of the single oils in On Guard give the essential oil the following properties:
SOURCING OF ON GUARD ESSENTIAL OIL
Because On Guard is a blend of oils and natural components, the oils come from different places!
– WILD ORANGE: Brazil – About 75% of doTERRA’s Wild Orange comes from Brazil, where the local farmers are passionate about the quality of their oranges and the essential oil.
– CLOVE: Madagascar – Clove oil comes from flower buds of an evergreen tree. Requiring a tropical, humid environment, the clove tree produces flower buds, and Clove oil is created out of the unopened or dried flower buds. Clove trees have been useful for centuries for cooking, perfumes, and other aromatic uses. Originally hailing from Southeast Asia, the clove tree, or Eugenia caryophyllata, is a member of the myrtle family whose leaves, flowers, and buds are highly aromatic—making it useful for essential oil production.
– CINNAMON: Indonesia – Cinnamon comes from a tropical, evergreen tree that can grow up to 45 feet high. The tree has highly fragrant bark, leaves, and flowers. Cinnamon Bark essential oil is extracted from the bark of the tree. Cinnamon used to be more valuable than Gold at one point in Egypt!
– ROSEMARY: Morocco – A member of the mint family, Rosmarinus officinalis is a highly aromatic shrub that is most widely known for its use in traditional dishes like potatoes, stuffing, lamb, turkey, chicken, and more. Ancient people like the Egyptians, Romans, Hebrews, and Greeks considered rosemary to be sacred, and it was often used by healers in these early cultures. Native to Mediterranean areas, this fragrant plant produces leaves from which Rosemary essential oil is extracted.
– EUCALYPTUS: Australia – Eucalyptus radiata trees are often referred to as narrow-leaved peppermint or forth river peppermint due to the long and narrow leaves and the fibrous bark it produces, which when crushed provides a peppermint-like aroma.
All of these oils and places makes this beautiful blend multi-cultural don’t you think?
So amazing how so much care and thought goes into WHERE each oil is sourced from and WHICH oils are included in this blend.
SAFETY OF ON GUARD ESSENTIAL OIL
On Guard is an amazing oil, but one you want to make sure to use correctly 🙂
Because of the spice oils and their high phenol, eugenol and aldehyde content that our skin can be sensitive too, it’s important to use this one safely.
APPLICATION: This blend can be used aromatically, topically, and/or internally for most ages and demographics. This oil is powerful, so you only really need one or two drops each time! When using topically, be sure to dilute it with coconut oil such as fractionated coconut oil.
Like most essential oils, try to avoid contact with the eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
SAFETY PRECAUTION: However, be sure to keep OUT of the reach of children because even though it’s safe, we want to be careful they don’t OVEREXPOSE themselves to it. Also, if you are pregnant or under a doctor’s care, feel free to consult with them if you’re concerned.
SUNLIGHT: Due to the Wild Orange and Limonene content, be sure to avoid Sunlight UV Rays for 12 hours after direct application as the limonene may lead to sensitized skin and sunburn.
Note – this information is just based on my understanding and is just for doTERRA’s On Guard Blend – you will need to do your research on other lemon essential oils.
USES OF ON GUARD ESSENTIAL OIL
On Guard has SO many great uses!
Here are some of its top uses:
– KILLING GERMS & AIRBORNE PATHOGENS: Take in a capsule, apply to bottoms of feet or diffuse.
– SEASONAL IMMUNE BOOST: Diffuse and take in water or in a capsule.
– COLDS & FLU: Take in a capsule or apply to bottoms of feet.
– STAPH, STREP THROAT, AND COUGH: Gargle a drop in water and sallow. Apply to chest, throat, or take in a capsule or with water.
– COLD SORES, WARTS & INFECTED WOUNDS: Apply diluted to the affected area.
– ORAL HEALTH: Gargle a drop in water.
– FUNGAL & PARASITE ISSUES: Apply to the affected area or take in a capsule.
– URINARY TRACT ISSUES: Take in a capsule or apply to lower abdomen.
– ANTISEPTIC & LAUNDRY CLEANER: Diffuse or dilute with water and apply to surfaces.
– CHRONIC FATIGUE & AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE: Take in a capsule or apply to bottoms of feet.
doTERRA also has some AMAZING On Guard products such as:
– On Guard Toothpaste
– On Guard Multi-purpose cleaner
– On Guard Laundry Detergent
– On Guard Hand Cleaner
– On Guard Cough Drops
– On Guard Hand Sanitizer
– On Guard Roller Bottle/Touch
Such a great oil to be used in so many different ways!
EMOTIONS BEHIND ON GUARD ESSENTIAL OIL
I though in addition to talking about the basics, science, sourcing, safety, and uses of essential oils, I would also do a section on the emotional aspect of each oil!
This is taken from the “Emotions & Essential Oils: A Modern Resource for Healing” Guide – 4th Edition.
(On Guard is also the “Protective Blend” and is known as the “Oil of Protection”)
This combination of oils is generally used to shield individuals from bacteria, mold and viruses. This blend’s protective properties, however, extend beyond the physical level by aiding individuals in warding off energetic parasites, domineering personalities and other negative influences. The Protective Blend strengthen’s on the immune system, which governs the ability to defend against attacks from physical pathogens and negative energies.
Protective Blend is incredibly helpful for strengthening the inner Self along with the inner resolve to stand up for one’s Self and live in integrity. This blend is especially indicated for personalities who have a weakened boundary due to some kind of perpetual violation to their personal space. Protective Blend gives individuals strength to say “no” and resolve to maintain clear boundaries. It cuts away unhealthy connections such as codependency, parasitic relationships or emotional viruses found in negative “group thought.” Protective Blend greatly assists individuals in learning to stand up for themselves and live in integrity with their True Self.
If you would like to learn more about doTERRA essential oils, check out an Essential Oils 101 Webinar I put together >>HERE<<.
Furthermore, if you know you would like to get started in using essential oils OR even sharing about them with others, book a Complimentary Essential Oils Consultation >>HERE<< and let’s talk about what oils would work best for you and your health and life goals!
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.